Some people eat out occasionally, others have it as a way of life. Either way, there are few things you can do to make it a healthy meal and lifestyle.
Tips for eating out:
- Don’t be very hungry before you go. Have a light snack such as a fruit or a cup of fat free milk an hour before going out for dinner. This will keep your hunger in control and keep you from overeating at the restaurant.
- Choose a restaurant that has variety and a wide selection of healthy dishes.
- Always order salads, and focus more on plant based and whole grain foods. However, you have to pay attention to the dressing and make sure that it is not loaded with fats and mayonnaise.
- Control the portion size you eat. You can always share a big dish with a friend. Also, you can finish half your plate and take the other half in a carry out bag.
- Control fat in what you order. Go for baked or broiled food, avoid fried.
- Use your condiments wisely. Order the dressing on the side so you can control the amount you are adding. Always taste your food before adding more sauce or salt to avoid extra additions. You can use mustard instead of mayonnaise, and pepper and lemon juice instead of salt.
- When there is a buffet, approach it with a plan. Do not overfill your plate just to get your money’s worth. Start with salad then go to the entrees.
- Eat slowly for better digestion and to allow your brain to get the message when your stomach is full.
- Skip the soft drinks and order beverages with low or no calories. A good option would be water or sparkling water with a twist of lemon.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. They are high in calories and they stimulate your appetite and weaken your willpower.
- Think before ordering dessert, and if you do sharing it with a friend is a much better option. Remember sharing is caring and saves you from unnecessary extra calories!!